Lemuel Ford papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a two volume diary (1835) describing the expedition to the Rocky Mountains from Fort Leavenworth. Also includes correspondence, hand drawn map and a booklet describing Ford's wife's genealogy. Also available on microfilm (Mflm37).
- Check date
- Ford, Lemuel,1788-1850. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
Contact Western History/Genealogy Dept., Denver Public Library, Denver, Colo.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Lemuel Ford served as a captain in the U.S. Dragoons under Col. Henry Dodge during an expedition from Fort Leavenworth to the Rocky Mountains in 1835. He also served as the first warden of the Southern Indiana Reformatory that was built under his supervision.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Collection contains Mflm 37.
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ford, Lemuel, 1788-1850 -- Archives.
- McDowell family -- Archives.
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Soldiers -- United States -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army -- Military life -- 19th century.
- United States. Army. Cavalry, 1st -- Archival resources.
- West (U.S.) -- Discovery and exploration -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Lemuel Ford papers,1833-1912[manuscript]
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script