Franklin A. Nims Diary
Scope and Contents
Collection contains Nims' diary (1889 May 22-July 24) of the Brown-Stanton party with descriptive appendix. Also a fictionalized account (1890?) of the river journey with title: A month in Cataract Canon on the Colorado River.
- Nims, Franklin A.(Franklin Asa),1854-1935. (Person)
- Marston, Otis R. (Otis Reed), 1894-1979, (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Franklin Asa Nims was born on August 27, 1854, in Manlius, Onondaga County, N.Y. He was a photographer with Frank M. Brown and Robert B. Stanton during the Stanton Expedition railroad survey for the Pacific Railway (1889-1890). Nims was surveying a possible railroad route along the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon until he was severely injured in a fall on New Years Day 1890 in Marble Canyon, 15 miles below Lee's Ferry. He later worked as a stenographer and bookkeeper. Nims died on January 2, 1935 in Anderson, Madison County, Ind.
1 envelope(s) (40 leaves)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Otis R. Marston, 1951-1952.
Typescript copy of one held by Mrs. Bess Nims, Greeley, Colo. (1951). Repository of originals unknown.
Varying Form of Title
Month in Cataract Canon on the Colorado River
- Colorado River (Colo.-Mexico) -- Discovery and exploration -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Expeditions (journeys) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Nims, Franklin A. (Franklin Asa), 1854-1935 -- Biography.
- Pacific railroads -- Explorations and surveys -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographers -- West (U.S.) -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Transcripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- West (U.S.) -- Surveys -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script