Charles A. Dewar Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a Japanese letter copying book (1881 October 27-1882 August 5) with copies of letters from Dewar to other Yellowstone division engineers concerning railroad construction. Letters posted from the Montana Territory. This portion of collection also available on microfilm (C MSS Mflm110).
Collection also contains an account book (1882 June 15-1883 Oct. 23) covering the 8th and 9th districts, Yellowstone Division with estimates, inventories, payrolls, meal & feed accounts.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Charles Alexander Dewar was born March 15, 1851 in Michigan. He was the resident civil engineer, 8th and 9th districts, Yellowstone division, Northern Pacific Railroad. The Northern Pacific Railway (NP) was a transcontinental railroad that operated across the northern tier of the western United States from Minn. to the Pacific Coast. The main line opened all the way from the Great Lakes to the Pacific in 1883. Dewar died on December 31, 1909 in Billings, Yellowstone County, Montana and is buried at Mountview Cemetery. In 1970 the Northern Pacific Railway merged with other lines to form the Burlington Northern Railroad.
1 box (.25 linear feet)
1 microfilm reel (Mflm110)
Other Finding Aids
Letter book contains index.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Unknown donor; n.d. Purchase; Goodspeed Book Shop (record book); n.d.
Collection contains microfilm Mflm 110.
Collection includes former collection: Northern Pacific Railway Company account book (C MSS -M567).
- Account books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dewar, Charles A. (Charles Alexander), 1851-1909 -- Archival resources.
- Letterpress copybooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Microfilms Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Montana. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northern Pacific Railway Company -- 19th century -- Archival resources.
- Railroad engineers -- Montana -- 19th century -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads -- Montana -- Design and construction -- Costs -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads -- Montana -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Charles A. Dewar Papers
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script