Louis Charles McClure Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection dates from 1898-1943 and contains approximately negatives and prints, one photo album, a journal listing photographic plates #1001-4326
1 album with views of crops, agriculture, irrigation facilities, and reservoirs in Adams County and Jefferson County, Colorado (1909); 47 assorted prints of railroads, Coors Brewery, residences, buildings, libraries, the Garden of the Gods, mountains, and panoramas of Denver, Colorado; 1 bound journal with list of photographic plates #1001-4326 annotated with customer name / company, location and date (1912-April 3, 1943) and list of Kendrick copies #1-162 (undated); and 10 large format photographic (1898-1920). Of note: McClure usually hand printed each image's title, numbers, and his signature on the glass plates of his photographs (sometimes different numbers for the same photo). This information often appears at the bottom of the photograph.
- McClure, Louis Charles, 1867-1957, (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Louis Charles McClure was a Denver, Colorado, based commercial photographer. He was born in Quincy, Illinois in May 1867. McClure moved to Denver in 1881, and beginning in 1884, trained and worked under famed photographer William Henry Jackson (1843-1942). McClure married to Ada May (Shrock) McClure (1881-1946) on April 20, 1892.The couple lived at her family home, 2104 Glenarm Place.
McClure eventually established his own commercial photography studio in Denver around 1903, specializing in cityscapes, railroads, and landscape photography. In his work, he focused almost exclusively on Denver and Colorado.
Louis Charles McClure died on February 26, 1957.
6 photo box(es)
1 photo oversize file folder(s)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchase, Louis Charles McClure, 1947.
Collection was merged with former: Farmer's Reservoir and Irrigation Company "Colorado 1909" photo album (C Photo Album 174; PAFI Album # 174), and a Journal (-M1649).
Paper label on "Colorado 1909" photo album cover reads: "Agriculture Colorado," "WHC-Album #174."
Paper label on inside front cover of "Colorado 1909" album reads in part: "Notice:- This book is the property of the Chicago Title & Trust Co., Trustee ... 707 Ideal Bldg. Denver, Colorado."
Table of Contents
Contents of Farmer's Reservoir and Irrigation Company's "Colorado 1909" photo album: Wheat field Westlake Ranch -- Panoramic view of Denver Municipal Irrigation Dist. -- Cutting corn - Westlake Ranch -- Pigs is pigs on our land -- Cutting alfalfa on Westlake Ranch -- Harvesting sugar beets -- Feeding steers -- Red Astrican apples - Westlake Ranch -- Picking strawberries on Westlake Ranch -- Onion patch - Westlake Ranch -- Currants West Lake Ranch -- Gooseberries West Lake Ranch -- Colorado poultry yard -- Intensive cultivation of pumpkins on our lands -- White Egg Turnips ... -- Horseradish ... -- Potatoe [i.e. potato] patch ... -- Standley Lake -- Construction Barr Lake Dam -- Westlake -- Construction OBrian Canal -- Turning water through headgate, Burlington Ditch -- Hallat Mtn. and Flat Top, Bierstadt Lake.
Some photographic prints soiled, discolored and / or torn.
- Agriculture -- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Appointment books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Buildings -- Colorado -- Denver -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Denver (Colo.) -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Farmers Reservoir and Irrigation Co. (Denver, Colo.) -- History -- Pictorial works.
- Irrigation districts -- Colorado -- History -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journals (accounts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Libraries -- Colorado -- Denver -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- McClure, Louis Charles, 1867-1957 -- Archives.
- Mountains -- Colorado -- Pictorial works. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographers -- Colorado -- Denver. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description