Alfred Packer papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains a copies of Packer's statement made at his murder trial... "in regard to the occurrences in southern Colorado during the winter 1873-1874"; invitation to his execution (which never took place), and 5 original letters. There are two from Packer addressed to a Mrs. RA Newman, two letters from Governor Alva Adams to Mrs. RA Newman, and one from Chaplain LJ Hale of the Colorado State Penitentiary.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Alferd Griner Packer (January 21, 1842; Allegheny Count, Pa.-April 23, 1907; Jefferson County, Colo.), also known as "The Colorado Cannibal", was an American prospector and self-proclaimed professional wilderness guide who confessed to cannibalism during the winter of 1874.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Unknown donor;n.d. and William C.W.D. Denby III 2019
- Cannibalism -- Colorado -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Invitations Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Packer, Alferd, 1842-1907 -- Correspondence
- Packer, Alferd, 1842-1907 -- Trials, litigation, etc.
- Testimonies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Trials (Murder) -- Colorado -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script