James D. Arnaud Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains photographs that document Arnaud's life as a soldier stationed at Camp Hale, Colo. as a member of the 10th Mountain Division (1942-1943). Included are images and negatives of his work with the dog training detachment, as well as fellow soldiers, being on leave in Glenwood Springs, Colo., army maneuvers, and local scenery. Photographs album containing 55 b/w images of ski troops and dog detachment at Camp Hale, Colo. (1943). The majority of the photographs have been identified and dated.
- 1942-1943; 2013
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
James D. Arnaud was born in Canada October 17, 1914, the son of Henry M. and Gwendoline Arnaud. The family moved to Blaine, Washington in 1923. Arnaud enlisted in the Army November 28, 1942 at Tacoma, Washington. He completed one year of college and was working as a salesman at the time of his enlistment. Arnaud’s enlistment records indicate that he was not yet a citizen. During World War II, Arnaud served with the 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment, Company I at Camp Hale, Colorado. It appears that he was primarily involved with the dog training detachment. He departed Camp Hale prior to the Division’s move to Camp Swift, Texas. Arnaud received his discharge January 31, 1946. He passed away May 30, 2005 at Tacoma, Washington.
.25 photo box
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Richard S. Dirkes; 2013.
Physical condition: photos and negatives are in good condition; color photographs are faded.
- Black-and-white negatives Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Black-and-white photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Color photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dogs -- War use -- 20th century -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographic prints. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Photographs -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Photographs.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Photographs.
- James D. Arnaud Papers
- Keli Schmid
- August 27, 2020
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script