John T. Edson Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains letters written to John E. Leet (1847-1922) in Denver, Colo. by Dr. John Tracey Edson. Contents concerns the Battle of Santiago during the Spanish-American War (1898). Also included is a newspaper clipping (1902) and souvenir booklet (n.d.) about the gunboat Gloucester with report by Edson concerning the battle.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John Tracey Edson was a New York City based physician born February 15, 1850. Graduated Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, 1880. Practiced in Denver, Colo. 1881-1890. Served as an Ensign aboard the U.S. Gunboat Gloucester during the Battle of Santiago, Spanish American War, July 3, 1898. Died February 2, 1928 on Staten Island, N.Y. and buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
1 envelope (9 items)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Mrs. Richard Downing, Denver, Colo.; 1960.
- Brochures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Navies -- United States -- Officers -- 19th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Official reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Santiago, Battle of, Santiago de Cuba, Cuba, 1898. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spanish-American War, 1898 -- Personal narratives. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the John T. Edson Papers
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Anglo American Cataloguing Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script