Robert N. Frauson oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and Frauson's personal observations about the training and equipping of the 10th Mountain Division personnel -- remembrances of the battle of Riva Ridge -- ski areas started by former members of the 10th after the war.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Robert N. Frauson was born January 27, 1924 in N.J. and enlisted in the Army on May 12, 1942 in Newark New Jersey. He was unmarried and had completed 4 years of high school at the time of his enlistment. Frauson joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colo. where he was assigned to Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He later served at Camp Swift, Tex. and in Italy. Frauson was awarded the Bronze Star medal for his actions in the Apennines and the Po River battles during the Spring of 1945 and attained the rank of PFC. After graduating from Colorado State University in 1951, he taught junior high school industrial arts in Greeley, Colo. and later served as a Ranger with the National Park Service for 30 years. Frauson died on June 20, 2008 at Flathead, Mont.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Robert N. Frauson oral history,1994
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script