Douglas R. Horth oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Horth's reasons for joining the 10th Mountain division -- role of messenger along with experiences and duties during "D" Series Training and Recreation at Camp Hale -- the battle at Della Torraccia including casualties and experiences -- equipment used in terms of both training and ability -- effect of the 10th Mountain Division experiences on life experience -- fellow soldiers mentioned: William Howell (PFC, 86-I); William Holbrook (S/Sgt, 86-K).
- Kealy, Abby, (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Douglas R. Horth was born in Ohio May 9, 1923, the son of Albert and Mildred Horth. He attended Shortridge High School, Indianapolis, Ind. before enlisting in the Army on December 14, 1942 at La Fayette, Ind. Horth served with the 10th Mountain Division where he was assigned to Company K, 3rd Battalion, of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He was stationed at Camp Hale, Colo.; Camp Swift, Tex. and served in combat in Italy. Horth received the Bronze Star Medal for his actions during the North Apennines and Po River campaigns during the Spring 1945. He attained the rank of Sargeant.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift;Abby Kealy;2013. Gift ;Douglas Horth ;2013.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- DVDs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mini-DV Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Douglas R. Horth oral history,2013
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States