James A. Goodwin oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about Goodwin's extensive mountaineering background, which qualified him for the 10th Mountain Division, -- experience in training mountain climbing to personnel of other Army units, at locations in Va., Camp Hale, and W.Va. -- training four to five hundred soldiers from 12 army Divisions -- techniques and equipment he used as well as his personal experiences in training Army personnel in mountaineering techniques -- his off-duty activities -- experiences as a combat Medic in the 85th Infantry Regiment, Company K in Italy -- his respect for German troops honoring his "medic" status allowing him to go behind German lines to retrieve American wounded -- opinion is that the Po Valley was the toughest fighting of the war for the 10th -- return to the U.S. and learning that the Japanese had surrendered.
- Goodwin, James A.,1910-2011. (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
James A. Goodwin was born in Hartford, Conn. on March 8, 1910. He attended Williams College, where he captained the ski team and later received a MA in History from Harvard. Goodwin volunteered for the 10th Mountain Division in 1942 and was initially assigned to 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment. He served as a mountain climbing instructor at Camp Hale, Colo., and later served as a medic with the 85th Infantry Retiment. Goodwin was stationed at Camp Hale, Tex. before being sent to Italy. He was awarded two Bronze Star Medals for his actions at Mt. Terminale on March 3, 1945 and Castel D'Aiano on April 14, 1945. He died in Keene, N.Y. on April 7, 2011 at the age of 101.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the James A. Goodwin oral history,1988
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script