Don Coyte oral history
Scope and Contents
The interview provides information and personal observations about testing of the 'Weasel", a tracked Army snow vehicle on the Columbian Ice fields in Canada. The Unit received Quonset huts, which they had to assemble on the glacier, this was claimed to be the first assembly of the Quonset hut in a field environment.
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by the author of the items in this collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Don F. Coyte was born May 22, 1917, the son of Edmund L. and Ellen L. Coyte. He enlisted in the Army on January 13, 1942. Coyte had completed 4 years of high school and was single at the time of his enlistment, and working as a sports instructor and ski patrolman. He Joined the 10th Mountain Division where he was assigned to Company G of the 86th Infantry Regiment and later served with Company A of the 87th Infantry Regiment. He was stationed at Fort Lewis, Wash. and Camp Hale, Colo. and also participated in the Columbia Ice Fields expedition in Canada. He broke his leg recreational skiing on the glacier, and was recruited for the Arctic Survival School on Mount Evans, Colo. and did not follow the 10th into combat in Italy. He passed away on December 24, 1990 in Spokane, Wash.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of the 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Oral histories (document genres) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops -- History -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Interviews. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Interviews.
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th -- Interviews.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Don Coyte oral history,1986
- Finding Aid prepared from MARC data.
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script