Category Six Bookstore Records
Articles, photographs, correspondence, and ephemera
- Category Six Bookstore (Denver, Colo.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The library does not assume any responsilitiy for infringement of the copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Category Six Books was the first gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) oriented bookstore in Denver. It opened before the HIV/AIDs epidemic. Category Six Books was a gay bookstore located at 909 East Colfax Avenue (1982-1991), later located at 1029 East 11th Avenue (1991-1996) and finally located at 42 South Broadway (1996-2000). It was run by Neil Woodward, who received his M.A. from University of Denver’s Library and Information Management program in 1978, and Daniel Otero. In August 1991, the store was sold to Jim Schneider. Schneider narrowed the store’s focus to gay men’s books because he did not want to compete with local lesbian bookstores. In 1997, the store was sold to manager James Dovali. The store was later resold and renamed “Relatively Wilde.”
2 oversize boxes
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Neil Woodward, 2017.
Everything is in good condition.
Catalog Record based on preliminary inventory.
- Bookstores -- Colorado -- Denver -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Business records. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Category Six Bookstore (Denver, Colo.) -- Archives.
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ephemera Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gay business enterprises -- Colorado -- Denver -- 20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Otero, Daniel L. -- 1940- -- Archives.
- Woodward, Neil -- Archives.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States