Skip to main content

BAERRESEN BROTHERS ARCHITECTURAL RECORDS

 Collection
Identifier: WH476

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

The Baerresen Brothers Architects Papers consist of architectural drawings, one scrapbook of photographs and newspaper clippings of their buildings, and photocopies of records, photographs and newspaper articles. The bulk of the collection focuses on two brothers, Harold William Baerresen (1846-1918) and Viggo Egede Baerresen (1858-1940), who formed the architecture firm. The material spans the years 1849-1974.

SERIES 1 ORIGINAL MATERIAL 1847-1983 BOX 1

The series consists of a mathematical notebook, an equipment plan, a portrait and one scrapbook containing photographs of the Baerresen Brothers buildings and newspaper clippings about their work.

SERIES 2 PHOTOCOPIES 1901-1983 BOX 1

Material copied includes the pages from the architectural financial record book, National Register of Historic Places nomination form for Humboldt Street Historic District, newspaper clippings and an album containing photocopies of photographs and architectural drawings.

SERIES 3 OVERSIZE ca. 1840, n.d. OVFF1, OVTUBE 1

The series contains sketches and plans of sailing vessels and one oil painting of a house.

SERIES 4 PHOTOGRAPHS 1900-1910 PHOTOBOX 1

Numerous black and white photographic prints and negatives that document Baerresen Brothers residential and commercial projects comprise the series. The bulk of these photographs depict exterior views, though limited interior views are also included. One portrait photograph of Willemoes Baerresen completes the series.

Dates

  • 1840-1983

ACCESS:

This collection is open for research.

OWNERSHIP:

Literary rights and copyrights have been assigned to the Denver Public Library.

PUBLICATION RIGHTS:

All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.

HISTORICAL NOTE

The four Baerresen brothers, Harold, Viggo, Albert and Willemoes, were born in Copenhagen, Denmark. Their father owned and operated a shipbuilding yard in Copenhagen. The four brothers had a background in construction, architecture, carpentry and design of buildings, ships and harbors. They eventually immigrated to the United States.

At the age of 15, due to poor health and on the advice of his father, Harold took a trip around the world. Upon his return, he apprenticed in the carpenter's trade. In 1864, when war broke out between Denmark, Germany and Austria, he was drafted into the navy. After the war, Harold began his studies in architecture. In 1869, he immigrated to New York, where he worked as a carpenter. In 1872, Harold moved to Louisville, Kentucky. He worked for several years in the baby buggy manufacturing business. In March of 1879, Harold came to Denver as an architect. Viggo arrived in 1884. Harold and Viggo formed the firm Baerresen Brothers Architects in 1886. Albert and Willemoes created a construction company located in Denver.

A few of their noted projects in Denver include the Mosque of the El Jebel Temple, Engelbach Building, Adams Hotel and the main section of St. Joseph's Hospital. The buildings designed by both of the Baerresen Brothers were built between 1901 and 1918. Following Harold's death in 1918, Viggo continued managing the architecture firm until 1928, when he retired and moved to California.

Harold was a founding member of the Colorado Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Harold and Viggo Baerresen were prominent citizens who joined numerous social and civic groups. Viggo Baerresen served as Vice Consul for Denmark and Norway for several years while in Denver. He was decorated with the Cross of Danneborg by King Christian of Denmark and with the Order of St. Olaf by Norway.

Extent

1 box (.5 linear feet)

1 PhotoBoxes

1 OVFF

1 tube

Language of Materials

English

PROVENANCE:

Mrs. Harvey (Dorothy) Baerresen donated the Baerresen Brothers Architectural Records to the Denver Public Library on Sept. 1, 1983. Sharon Elfenbein loaned additional material for photocopying in July of 1983. Originals were returned once copied.

SIZE:

Number of Boxes: 1 (.5 linear feet)

Number of PhotoBoxes: 1 (.25 linear feet)

Oversize: 1 OVFF

Oversize: 1 OVTube

LOCATION:

WH476

PROCESSED BY:

Ellen Zazzarino

December 2000

REVISED AND ENCODED BY:

Cynthia Rand

July 2004

Dennis Hagen

June 2008

PROJECT MANAGER:

Ellen Zazzarino

Title
BAERRESEN BROTHERS ARCHITECTURAL RECORDS
Date
Revised June 2008
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository

Contact:
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States