Skip to main content

MARGERY REED MAYO DAY NURSERY RECORDS

 Collection
Identifier: WH1136

SCOPE AND CONTENT

The collection spans the years 1911 to 1985. Material includes correspondence, financial records, history, articles of incorporation and by-laws, licenses to operate a day nursery, procedures, photographs of the children, staff, parents and new building, and a copy of Prose Petals by Margery Verner Reed. The collection remains open for future donations since the Nursery is still in operation as of 2009.

SERIES 1 BUSINESS 1911-1979 BOX 1-2

The series is organized according to subject. Material includes correspondence, financial, history, legal, procedures, programs, promotional, and record of minutes.

SERIES 2 MARGERY VERNER REED - PERSONAL 1916 BOX 1

Contains copy of Prose Petals by Margery Verner Reed

SERIES 3 OVERSIZE 1911-1985 OVBOX 1-2, OVFOLDER 1

Contents include scrapbooks with photographs, newspaper clippings, negatives, correspondence, and business ledger

SERIES 4 PHOTOGRAPHS 1926-1971 PHOTO BOX 1

The photographs show children and teachers participating in classroom learning, plays, holiday activities and special events at the school. A few images show the school building and grounds. An annotated scrapbook assembled for Mother Mary Zoe shows school activities in the 1950s. The series contains a few negatives.

Dates

  • 1911-1985

ACCESS:

The collection is open for research.

OWNERSHIP:

Literary rights and copyrights have been assigned to the Denver Public Library.

PUBLICATION RIGHTS:

All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.

HISTORICAL NOTE

In 1898, Mrs. Johanna Breusch started a day care service in her home at 1929 Wewatta Street near the Union Station in Denver, Colorado. She opened the service for children of working or ill mothers. Her only compensation was contributions of food for the children and small donations of money. Mrs. Breusch closed the day care service in 1906. At the time, she was caring for seventeen children in addition to twelve of her own. A group of interested women reopened the nursery in a rented six room house at 2746 Lawrence Street. Mrs. Thomas F. Daly organized the day care center in 1906, with the assistance of several other women. They managed to stay open despite a scarcity of funds. In 1910, they asked working mothers to pay five cents a day and opened a rummage shop to help defray expenses. Many Denver society matrons contributed clothing and other articles. Mrs. T.F. Patterson became the shop's proprietress, while debutantes, Miss Helen Bonfils, Miss Margery Reed, Miss Imogene Daly and many others, became the salesladies. On September 27, 1911, the nursery was incorporated as a non-profit, benevolent, educational institution under the name The Social Center and Day Nursery Association.

In 1914, during World War I, the nursery closed its doors because its supporters became involved in war service. The nursery resumed in 1915 with a new Board of Directors. Miss Helen Bonfils and Miss Margery Reed were faithful supporters of the new board. They continued until the early twenties when Mrs. Ira Rothgerber and Mrs. Thomas A. Cosgriff joined them.

Mrs. Verner Z. (Mary D.) Reed provided the funding for the Margery Reed Mayo Day Nursery, built in 1926 as a memorial to her daughter, Margery Reed Mayo, who died in 1925. Children of all religious beliefs and of different nationalities received not only physical care, but also a well-planned program for the optimum development of each child. It included periods of free play, supervised activities, rest, music and a balanced diet, as well as arts, crafts and entertainment.

On January 3, 1944, the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati, Ohio, were given possession of the building. Mrs. Reed intended to erect a Convent and Chapel for the Sisters on the lots adjoining the Nursery, but her untimely death interrupted the plan.

Expansion of the Margery Reed Mayo Day Nursery made it necessary to acquire any available ground near or adjacent to the building. The Housing Commission of the Curtis Park Housing Project generously deleted Lots 31 and 32, Block 46, in the Case and Ebert’s Addition from their plans and placed an option on the Lots for three months in favor of the Nursery. Due to a lack of funds, on July 15, 1952, the option expired, so the property reverted back to private ownership. Friends of the Nursery rallied to the cause and development of improvements began. Many friends of the children contributed funds and equipment to the expansion of a playground for the tots, called The Tots' Lot.

The Nursery is not an endowed institution, but benefits from the interest of dividends from the Reed Trust Fund. Mrs. Reed established the trust to maintain the Nursery until such time as it might become self-sustaining. This dividend, combined with the small fee charged for the care of children, represented the only income for operation of the Nursery until it was accepted by the Mile High United Fund in the 1950s.

Extent

2 Boxes

2 oversize boxes

1 oversize folder

1 photo box

Language of Materials

English

PROVENANCE:

Collection acquired as a gift from Marguerite McGovern on June 3, 1988. This collection remains open.

SIZE:

Number of Boxes: 2

Oversize: 2 boxes, 1 folder

Photographs: 1 box (.5 linear feet)

LOCATION:

WH1136

PROCESSED BY:

Jo Anne Lee

November 2000

REVISED AND ENCODED BY:

Merrie Jo Schroeder

November 2004

Abby Hoverstock

July 2009

PROJECT MANAGER:

Ellen Zazzarino

Title
MARGERY REED MAYO DAY NURSERY RECORDS
Date
August 2009
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository

Contact:
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States