WARREN D. ELMER PAPERS
Photographs, Italy tourist booklets and postcards, military separation papers, "Camp Hale Ski-Zette" newspaper
- 1945, undated
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Warren D. Elmer was born on May 7, 1924 to Henry and Hedwig (Haddie) Elmer in Hebron, North Dakota. After graduating from high school in Wenatchee, Washington, Elmer was drafted to the United States Army on February 5, 1943. He joined the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado and deployed to Italy with the Division at the end of 1944. Elmer was a staff sergeant with the Division Headquarters and was awarded a Bronze Star Medal for his actions in combat in the Apennines and Po Valley. Following the war, Elmer married Jane B. Caldwell in 1947; the couple had two daughters, Ann and Mary. Elmer later graduated from the University of Washington with a degree in economics. He passed away on September 21, 2016.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Ann C. Zitzelsberger; 2018.
Items are worn but in fair condition
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military records Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th. -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Warren D. Elmer Papers
- Keli Schmid
- November 26, 2018
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script