John Stewart Silman Papers
Military documents - separation papers and leather wallet, correspondence from Colonel David M. Fowler, sympathy card 1945, 2000 Photographs - some identified, dates range from 1942-1945 Ephemera - gold ID bracelet, dog tag, silver money clip 1945
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John Stewart Silman was born on April 23, 1920 in Merced, California. He had been working as a repairman or mechanic for Ludwick Bacciarini when he was drafted to the United States Army on October 23, 1941. He joined the 87th Infantry Regiment, Company G, of the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Lewis, Washington. He trained with the Division at Fort Lewis; Jolon, California; Camp Hale, Colorado; Fort Ord, California; Camp Carson, Colorado; and Camp Swift, Texas. He was deployed with the Division to Kiska Island in 1943 and to Italy in 1945. Silman attained the rank of Technician Fifth Class. He passed away on October 17, 2000.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Ellen Tara James-Penney, 2019.
Documents are worn and have some tears but are legible. Photographs were previously affixed in a photo album or scrapbook; some adhesive residue remains.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
- Ephemera (general object genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States --Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. -- Army. -- Mountain Division, 10th -- Archival resources
- United States. -- Army. -- Mountain Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John Stewart Silman Papers
- Keli Schmid
- January 15, 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script