Joseph Goldberg Papers
Collection contains military documents and awards, as well as a scrapbook of newspaper clippings, photographs, telegrams, postcards and booklets collected by Goldberg while in the Army.
Language of Materials
Materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Joseph "Yus" Goldberg was born on May 24, 1920 and grew up in West Philadelphia, Pa. He enlisted in the U.S. Army on November 12, 1943 at Philadelphia, Pa. At the time of his enlistment, Goldberg had completed 3 years of high school, was married and working as a machinist. With the 10th Mountain Division, he served with Company G of the 85th Mountain Infantry. In Italy, Goldberg attained the rank of Private First class and received two Bronze Star Medals for his actions at Mt. Belvedere and also a Purple Heart when he was wounded in action on April 14, 1945 at Mount Della Spe Hill 909. He died in January 2015 at Cherry Hills, N.J.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Bruce Goldberg; 2019.
All items show wear but are in fair condition
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military records Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. -- Army. -- Mountain Division, 10th -- Archival resources.
- United States. -- Army. -- Mountain Infantry Regiment, 85th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Joseph Goldberg Papers
- Keli Schmid
- July 17, 2019
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States