Vernon J. Cartner Papers
Collection contains passenger lists, correspondence, photographs, postcards and newspaper clippings collected by Cartner
- Cartner, Vernon J., 1925-2016 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Vernon J. Cartner was born on February 2, 1925 to Theodore and Alice (McCann) Cartner in Chicago, Illinois. He registered for the United States Army draft on February 4, 1943 and was assigned to the 10th Mountain Division in the fall of 1944. Cartner joined the Division at Camp Swift, Texas, and saw combat in Italy as a private first class in Company L, 87th Infantry Regiment. His service was cut short on April 16, 1945 when he was wounded in action and sent home on the hospital ship Seminole.
Following the war, Cartner married Allien Geraldine Mikusch; the couple had five children. The Cartners bought and managed Rice's Bar in North Ironwood, Michigan and a dairy homestead in North Bessmer, Michigan. Vernon J. Cartner passed away on September 28, 2016 at the age of 91, in Spring Hill, Florida.
1 Boxes (.25 linear feet)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Theodore V. Cartner; 2017.
- Military maneuvers -- Cold weather conditions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Mountain Division, 10th -- Archival resources.
- United States. -- Army. -- Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Colorado -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vernon J. Cartner Papers
- Keli Schmid
- October 30, 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script