J. Harry Wikane Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection contains photocopies of photographs, newspaper clippings, Japanese propaganda leaflets, hand-drawn maps, and correspondence collected by Wikane.
- Wikane, J. Harry, 1915-1999 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
J. Harry Wikane was born in Brooklyn, New York on April 11, 1915 to John Wikane, who ran a Norwegian restaurant, and Helga Wikane, a homemaker. He had completed high school, was married, and worked as a butcher before enlisting in the Army at Newark, New Jersey on May 6, 1942. Wikane was assigned to the fledgling 10th Mountain Division and began training with Company K of the 87th Infantry Regiment at Fort Lewis, Washington. He continued his training at Camp Hale, Colorado before being sent with his unit to join the invasion of Kiska Island, Alaska. During that invasion Wikane lost a leg and an arm to friendly fire and was sent back to the mainland. Before being discharged from the Army in April 1945, Wikane had earned the rank of Private First Class. After his discharge Wikane worked as a farm equipment, car, and truck salesman in the Kingston, New York area. Harry Wikane died in 1999.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Harry Wikane; 1992.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Naf
- Kiska Island (Alaska) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photocopies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States --Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Mountain Division, 10th.
- United States. -- Army. -- 87th Mountain Infantry Regiment-- Archival resources.
- Wikane, J. Harry, 1915-1999 -- Archives
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- J. Harry Wikane Papers
- Keli Schmid
- December 1, 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script