John A. Youmans, Jr. Papers
Scope and Contents
Collection consists of a letter written to his mother while Youmans was in Italy.
- May 12, 1945
- Youmans, John A., Jr, 1922-2001 (Person)
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
John Youmans was born in Hampton County, South Carolina in 1922. Upon joining the Army Youmans was assigned to the 10th Mountain Division and began training at Camp Hale, Colorado where he served in Company A of the 86th Infantry Regiment. He continued his training with the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Swift, Texas before being sent to Italy to fight in World War II. Youmans saw action in Italy at Mt. Grande d’Aiano, where he earned a Silver Star Medal on March 3-7, 1945, and at Nago, where he earned a Bronze Star Medal on April 30, 1945. By the time of his discharge he had attained the rank of 1st Lieutenant.
After the war, Youmans worked as a registered forester with Georgia-Pacific and Coastal Lumber Co. in Augusta, Georgia and operated Youmans Forestry Co. He was a graduate of the University of Georgia and was married to Kathryn Schneider Youmans. John A. Youmans, Jr. died on June 6, 2001.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Bill Holland; 2011.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Letters (correspondence) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Mountain Division, 10th -- Archives.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Colorado -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Youmans, John A., Jr, 1922-2001 -- Archives
- John A. Youmans, Jr. Papers
- Keli Schmid
- December 4, 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States