Richard D. Johnston Papers
Scope and Contents
Compact disc contains scans of 67 letters and their corresponding envelopes
Language of Materials
Material is in English unless otherwise noted.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The imply Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Richard D. “Dick” Johnston was born on April 9, 1923 to Harry W. and Alva Johnston in Weld County, Colorado. On June 11, 1941 Johnston enlisted in the United States Army Air Corps, but he was denied a pilot’s license because he was color blind. He then joined the 10th Mountain Division, attaining the rank of private first class with the 87th Infantry Division, Company A. Johnston trained with the Division at Camp Hale, Colorado; Fort Ord, California; Camp Carson, Colorado; and Camp Swift, Texas. He was deployed to Kiska Island in 1943 and then to Italy in 1945. On April 14, 1945, while on Mount Della Spe, Johnston was hit in the chest by a shell explosion while delivering a message to another company. Though mortally wounded, he got up and continued to run another 300 yards to successfully deliver the message before he collapsed. He was awarded a Purple Heart and a Silver Star.
1 envelope (67 letters)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift; Melanie Schwab; 2016.
- CD-ROMs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- Archival resources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Canp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Letters (correspondence). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- Mountain Division, 10th Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. -- Army. -- Infantry Regiment, 87th -- Archival resources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Richard D. Johnston Papers
- Keli Schmid
- February 16, 2021
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States