Robert C. Westland Papers
Scope and Contents
Contains correspondence, personal papers, aerial photographs of Camp Hale, Colorado (1943).
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Robert Westland was born on January 28, 1923 in Kenosha, Wisconsin to Frank Westland, an insurance salesman, and Vera Carter, a homemaker. He had completed two years of college in the field of business before enlisting in the Army. He was assigned to the 10th Mountain Division and began his training at Camp Hale, Colorado before being transferred with the 10th to Camp Swift, Texas and then to see action in Italy during World War II. Upon his discharge, Westland had attained the rank of T/5 in the 616th Field Artillery Battalion. He married Phyllis Piskering and the couple had seven children. Robert Westland died on February 16, 1988 in Ihlen, Minnesota.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Phyllis Westland, 1991.
Catalog record based on preliminary inventory.
Linking Entry Complexity Note
Forms part of: 10th Mountain Division Resource Center Collection.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Photographs. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Corrspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Mountain Division, 10th. -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script