Heart Mountain Community Council Meeting Minutes
The collection contains Community Council meeting minutes taken during meetings conducted between June 16-November 17, 1944.
- June 16, 1944 - November 17, 1944
- Heart Mountain Relocation Center (Wyo.), Community Council (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Heart Mountain Relocation Center was an American World War II concentration camp created to incarcerate people of Japanese descent. The concentration camp opened in August 1942 in Park County, Wyoming. Over 14,000 people were incarcerated at the camp, with its peak population at 10,767 incarcerees in January 1943. The community council was comprised of Japanese American incarcerees, often Issei, or first-generation Japanese Americans, who were elected by their block. The incarceration camp system was terminated in January 1945, but the last incarcerees were unable to leave Heart Mountain until November 10, 1945. The Heart Mountain Relocation Center was deemed a National Historic Landmark on September 20, 2006. In August 2011, Heart Mountain Wyoming Foundation opened an on-site museum, the Heart Mountain Interpretive Center.
1 envelopes (7 items)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Mimeograph copies are in good condition.
- Heart Mountain (Wyo.) -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Heart Mountain Relocation Center (Wyo.)., Community Council -- Archives
- Internment camps -- Wyoming -- Records and correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Japanese Americans -- Wyoming -- Forced removal and internment, 1942-1945 -- Records and correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mimeograph copies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newsletters Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Concentration camps -- Wyo. -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description