Aaron J. Schenck Papers
Content includes correspondence from Schenck to family members while at Camp Hale, Colorado; Camp Swift, Texas; and Italy. Also includes illustrations done by Schenck throughout, as well as collected souvenir postcards, newspaper clippings, photographs, Army documents, and other memorabilia. Schenck organized the collection contents chronologically into scrapbooks; this order has been preserved.
- January 1943-November 1945, 1970-1997
- Schenck, Aaron J., 1923-2007 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from material in the collection should be discussed with the appropriate librarian or archivist. Permission for publication may be given on behalf of the Denver Public Library as the owner of the physical item. It is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained by the customer. The Library does not assume any responsibility for infringement of copyright or publication rights of the manuscript held by the writer, heirs, donors, or executors. Reproduction restrictions are decided on a case-by-case basis.
Biographical / Historical
Aaron Johnson Schenck was born on June 14, 1923 in Niehart, Montana to Carl Schenck and Emma Cecilia Schenck. He lived in Great Falls, Montana where he completed high school before enlisting in the U.S. Army on February 6, 1943. While in the Army, he served in the 86th Infantry, Company B of the 10th Mountain Division at Camp Hale, Colorado, Camp Swift, Texas, the Italian Campaign, and Camp Carson, Colorado. He received a Bronze Star for meritorious service in combat on March 4, 1945 near Sassomolare, Italy. After the war, he graduated from Montana State College in 1950 and married Alice Jean Leslie on November 10, 1951. The couple lived in Bozeman before moving to Missoula, Montana and had five children. Schenck passed away on April 22, 2007.
1 box (1 linear foot)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, Larry A. Schenck, 2022.
- Camp Hale (Colo.) -- Archival resources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Swift (Tex.) -- Archival resources Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Personal papers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Schenck, Aaron J., 1923-2007 -- Archives
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ski troops. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- United States -- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. -- Army. -- Mountain Division, 10th -- Archival resources
- United States. Army. Infantry Regiment, 86th -- Archival resources.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Colorado -- Personal narratives, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Aaron J. Schenck Papers
- Adrian Johnson
- November 17, 2022
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Denver Public Library, Western History and Genealogy Repository
10 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy
Denver CO 80204 United States